11 May 2010

Burning Man 2009 by Glenn Lym

Burning Man 2009 from Glenn Robert Lym on Vimeo.


This week on BURNcast.TV we'll be covering the topic of "Cellphones @ Burning Man" which was percolating as a rumor for many months leading up to the event at last year's burn.

In fact, come early August '09, the BM blog posted that coverage was available in Gerlach. John Curley wrote: "Isn’t that weird? You can check your email; you can get calls, you can send texts. … Hey, that’s not why we came here, is it?"

Or is it?

The first time I went to Burning Man I specifically went with the intention to break up with my boyfriend and I needed to force myself to take a time out by not (obsessively) calling the guy. So I thought camping in remote Black Rock Desert of Nevada would be perfect.

I was right. As things turned out I was unable to call my ex for over a week unless I wanted to drive all the way back to Fernley where there was cell coverage but meh...I was having way too much fun to shlepp the hell out there. I returned from Black Rock City having put closure on the relationship and the strength to forge ahead having been transformed by my experiences at Burning Man.

I believe the ability to disconnect from all that you know and do in your default life is what makes for an optimum experience at Burning Man. So to me, cellphones on the playa are just not cool.

Badger, had this to say about the issue last year on a Tribe discussion thread:
"Count me in as one who thinks it sucks. Also count me in as one who no longer really gives a shit. If you think group interaction with strangers is on the wane now just wait until phone reception becomes playa wide - which it currently will not be. If you've ever been to any of the larger music festivals - especially in Europe - you'll see just how caught up everyone is describing how much fun they're having while they talk into their phones describing how much fun they're having."
I think Badger has a pretty good point. But then again, if you've ever been to Coachella (where cellphone connectivity diminishes as attendance swells) I just felt that demand on the playa would totally exceed ability. And, once again, I was right!

So what does cellphones at Burning Man have to do with this video?

According to the videographer Glenn Lym this was shot with his iPhone and edited up to 16:9. No alteration was done to the sound. Most of the large explosions are real time without editing.

Oh snap!

Glenn's video is a pretty innovative way to put his cellphone to good use at Burning Man!

Can you hear me now???





0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates